To be a leading Biotechnology Engineering department that imparts quality technical education with strong research component, to develop solutions in the field of food, health and environment.
To provide quality technical education in a conducive learning environment to produce professionals, researchers with a zeal for lifelong learning and a commitment to society.
The department of Biotechnology established in 2002 offers a four year B.E. Biotechnology Program with an intake of 60 students and a two years PG Program, M.Tech in Biotechnology with an intake of 18 students. The department is a recognized Research Centre by VTU, Belgaum, offering M.Sc (Engg.) by research and PhD programs. The Department also offers a Post Graduate Diploma in Biopharmaceutical Technology under the Biotechnology Skill Enhancement Programme (BiSEP), supported by the Department of IT & BT, Government of Karnataka with a sanctioned budget of Rs. 162.5 Lakhs.
The department has 16 faculty members, of them 12 are Ph.D holders and the others are M.Tech pursuing Ph.D. The faculty members have competence in Core areas of Biotechnology viz. Food and Agricultural Biotechnology, Health and Medical Biotechnology & Environmental Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering. The department research is focused towards these core areas and funded by national and state funding agencies like DST, KBITS, AICTE, VGST, VTU and RGUHS.
The department have publications in SCI and SCOPUS indexed journals. Faculties have published book chapters and presented their research work in National and International conferences. A sizeable number of students have pursued their higher education at various premier institutes in India and abroad after having qualified GATE, GRE & TOEFL exams. The students undergo internships at various premier institutes in India and abroad. Several students receive the Indian Science Academies Summer Internship every year. The department has collaborations with some of the leading biotech industries like: Biocon, Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), Bristol Myers Squibb India Ltd, Novozymes South Asia Pvt Ltd, Himalaya Drug Company, Beckman Coulter, Sami Labs, Sartorius Stedim, Genotypic Technology, Aristogene Biosciences, GangaGen, Connexios Life Sciences, Acquity Labs & Celest Pharma.
- 2002 B.E. Biotechnology program started under Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belgaum, with an intake of 30 students.
- 2006 Student intake increased from 30 to 60.
- 2007 Autonomous under VTU.
- 2008 Recognized R&D centre offering PhD / M.Sc. (Engg.) in Biotechnology under VTU.
- 2009 NBA Accredited for three years: (June 2010 - 2013).
- 2011 Outcome Based Education is implemented.
- 2012 M. Tech in Biotechnology program started under autonomous scheme, with an intake of 18 students.
- 2016 NBA Accredited for three years: (June 2016 - 2019).
- 2018 PG Diploma in Biopharmaceutical Technology started. This Program is supported by the Department of IT & BT, Government of Karnataka.
Department of Biotechnology offers three programs that are affiliated to VTU – Belgaum and recognized by AICTE:
Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology with intake count of 60
PG Diploma in Biopharmaceutical Technology (LINK HERE)
Master of Technology in Biotechnology with intake count of 20
M.Sc. (Engg) by Research with intake as per VTU norms
Ph.D. with intake as per VTU norms
- PEO 1: To impart a strong foundation in mathematics, basic and engineering sciences contributing to Biotechnology.
- PEO 2: To produce graduates who can pursue higher education and research in biotechnology and allied fields.
- PEO 3: To produce graduates with an ability to design, develop and implement research projects and apply to solve problems related to areas of biotechnology.
- PEO 4: To provide opportunities for students to work in multidisciplinary teams with professional ethics, good communication, leadership skills and commitment to society.
Engineering Graduates will be capable of:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- To have thorough grounding in Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology.
- To be proficient in the principles and practices of advanced biological sciences.
- To apply engineering principles to biological systems to solve Biotechnology problems.
- PEO 1: To produce postgraduates who can articulate technical developments in the field of biotechnology and apply relevant tools to solve problems in real life situations
- PEO 2: To enable postgraduates to have an ability to design and conduct research to meet desired needs within realistic economic, environmental, socio-political, ethical, health, safety & sustainability realms
- PEO 3: To prepare postgraduates to be successful professionals in the industry, academia, research, entrepreneurial pursuit and consulting firms
- PEO 4: To prepare students to enrich their knowledge & skills throughout their career
Engineering Graduates will be capable of:
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research/investigation & development work to solve the practical problem
- PO2: An ability to write & present a substantial technical report/document
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the programme. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
- PO4: Demonstrate the ability to design, conduct experiments and analyze data in the field of Biotechnology
- PO5: Able to employ Biotechnology tools in biological research
- Dr. Bindu S obtained her Bachelors & Masters in Science from Bengaluru University. After having qualified the UGC-CSIR National entrance test in life sciences, she worked as a UGC-Junior Research Fellow in the department of Food Microbiology, CSIR-Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore & thereafter continued as a CSIR-Senior Research Fellow after having received the CSIR-SRF National fellowship. She received her PhD in Biotechnology from Mysore University in 2004 for her Doctoral work on “Biotechnological Applications of Microbial Phytases in Enhancing Nutritional Quality of Food & Feed Systems”. The outcome of this work has resulted in a US Patent. She has research experience at the Department of Crop physiology, UAS-GKVK Campus in the area of “Isolation & Purification of Taq Polymerase”. She also has Post Doctoral Research experience at the Department of Biology, Texas Southern University, Houston, Texas in the areas of “Microgravity Stress” & “Nanotoxicology.”
- Dr. Bindu S joined the Department of Biotechnology in 2003 as a lecturer. She has published about 25 research papers in peer reviewed journals & conferences. She has co-authored a book chapter on “Micronutrients Malnutrition”. She has been a resource person in the area of Food Biotechnology in the VTU-EDUSAT Program & the resource materials are available on the VTU-Online Resource Site. She also has Grant-in Aid research projects from the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India. She has received the Fast Track Young Scientist Grant Award from DST. She has won several Paper presentation awards. She is a life member of The Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), Society of Biological Chemist (SBC), Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI), Proteomics Society of India (PSI) & a member of the Institution of Engineers India (IEI). She is a recognized guide in VTU and is currently guiding MSc (Engg.) & PhD students. Her research areas include Food Biotechnology and Nanotoxicology. She is currently working in the area of “Characterization of Microbial Biofilms & Their Control Using Herbs & Spices”.
- She has received a funding of Rs. 1.625 crores from KBITS, Govt. of Karnataka as the program coordinator of the Biotechnology Skill Enhancement Program (BiSEP).