To excel in engineering education and research, inculcating professional ethics in students and emerge as leaders globally in the field of electrical & electronics engineering.
The mission of the department is to produce graduates who will:
- Be able to apply their knowledge to identify and solve problems arising in any domain.
- Be able to contribute to research and developmental activities in frontier areas.
- Master innovative skills to be entrepreneurs.
- The fast changing technological scenario poses to the department a challenge of continuously updating its curriculum and faculty to be able to provide state-of-the-art education to the students.
- Faculty: The Department currently has eighteen faculty members, including one Professor Emeritus. Current areas of research can be broadly classified into the following categories: High Voltage Engineering, Electric Power Quality, Industrial Drives and Renewable Energy.
- Facilities: The Department has modern laboratories to serve the teaching and research needs of the students and faculty of the Department. All faculty members, all UG PG and Research scholars have sole access to computer and softwares. All systems are connected to the Departmental LAN which is a part of the Institute-wide area network.
- Relation with Industry: The Department has close interaction with number of industry and Government agencies. The main modes of interaction are faculty consultancy, sponsored projects and short-term courses. The Department also has Industrial Affiliate courses.
The department was started in the year 1962 with Under Graduate program of sanctioned intake 60, along with the establishment of the college. In the year 2003, department was recognised as a research centre by Visvesvaraya Technological University Belgaum to offer PhD and M Sc (Engg.) programs. Department also offers post graduate program M.Tech in Computer Applications in Industrial Drives, since 2004. The department was accredited thrice by NBA, New Delhi and in 2015, the department has been accredited for five years by NBA. The department has set up a centre of excellence in Process Automation and Control in collaboration with Schneider Electric, Bangalore and established NI LabVIEW Academy in collaboration with NI and National MEMS Design Centre, supported by NPMASS, India. The department has 17 well qualified and experienced faculty members with specialization in HVDC, High Voltage Engineering, Power systems, Power electronics, Illumination engineering, Control systems, Signal Processing and VLSI Design and Embedded systems. Six faculty members of the department are doctorates, seven faculty members are pursuing research in different disciplines at different Universities and rest others are post graduates.Dr. Premila Manoharis Specialized in HVDC(Ph.D from IISc, Bangalore 1993-94), Dr. Pradipkumar Dixit is specialized in High Voltage Engineering (Ph. D from VTU, Belgaum, 2009), Dr. Shridhar S holds doctoral degree with specialization in Power Systems(from VTU, Belgaum 2018), Dr. Chandrashekhar Badachi holds doctoral degree with specialization in High Voltage Engineering(from Jain University, 2016), Dr Janamejaya B C holds doctoral degree with specialization in fast charging (from, University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), Ontario, Canada, 2018), Dr. Kodeeswara Kumaran G. holds doctoral degree with specialization in Power Electronics and Renewable Energy(from NIT, Suratkal, 2018), Mr. K.V. Jayaram,has joined our department as Schneider co-ordinator, and in addition, Dr. G. R. Nagabhushana , Former Chairman, Department of High Voltage Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore is with the department as Professor Emeritus.
Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering offers four programs that are affiliated to VTU – Belgaum and recognized by AICTE:
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
M.Tech in Computer Applications in Industrial Drives
M.Sc(Engg) by Research
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs) of the program Produce graduates who will:
- PEO1: Produce graduates who will have the ability to apply the knowledge of basic sciences, engineering sciences and electrical engineering to excel in professional career.
- PEO2: Produce graduates who will continue to enhance their knowledge.
- PEO3: Produce graduates who are confident to take up diverse career paths.
- PEO4: Produce graduates who will provide leadership and demonstrate the importance of professional integrity.
PO’s of the program offered Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice. Institute Vision and Mission Department Vision and Mission Programme Educational Objectives Programme Outcomes Graduate Attributes Professional bodies such as IIIE, NITIE Regulatory bodies such as UGC,AICTE,VTU Feedback Faculty Alumni Industry Student .
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- PSO1: Identify, formulate, analyze, design and implement—electrical and electronics circuits, control systems, drives, power systems and power electronic systems.
- PSO2: Use modern tools to solve problems in diverse and multidisciplinary environment.
- PSO3: Understand the impact of engineering solutions in societal and environmental context, commit to professional ethics, lifelong learning and communicate effectively.
- PSO4: Apply project management techniques to electrical/electronic(s) systems, exhibiting team
- PEO1: Be knowledgeable to solve complex problems in Industrial drives.
- PEO2: Contribute to multidisciplinary scientific research through individual and team work.
- PEO3: Be leaders with managerial skill, demonstrating professional integrity
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO2: An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area of Computer Applications in Industrial Drives.
- PO4: An ability to apply the basic knowledge to identify, model and solve electrical drive problems.
- PO5: An ability to apply skills to design and develop hardware and/or software to solve real world problems.
- The research interests of Dr. Premila Manohar are HVDC transmission, application of superconductivity and MEMS. She has worked as research associate at IISc for a year (1993-94) and then in process simulation industry during 1996-2003 and joined M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore, in 2003. Currently working in the area of superconducting fault current limiter, VSC-HVDC transmission systems and multi – infeed HVDC systems. She enjoys teaching dynamics and design of continuous and discrete control systems. She is Life member ISSS, Senior Member IEEE-PES, member IEEE sensor council and member IEEE Council for Super Conductors.