To produce globally competent Industrial Engineers, researchers and entrepreneurs capable of developing solutions to continually improve socio-technical systems and add value to the society.
The Industrial Engineering and Management department shall transform the entrants of the Industrial Engineering and Management program into professionally competent engineers through
- Innovative educational curricula
- Balanced research program
- Effective collaboration with industry and academia
The Department of Industrial Engineering and Management is backed by well qualified, motivated and result oriented faculty and staff members. Most of the faculty members hold important positions in the university and also examiners in the Visvesvaraya Technological University/ other autonomous institutions. The department faculty actively involved in technical paper publication, organizing faculty development programmes, carrying funded research projects and consultancy work. The faculty also hold administrative positions in reputed professional bodies.
- The department of Industrial and Production Engineering was established in the year 1979 as a part of Mechanical Engineering. The Department got separated as an independent department in the year 1984. Industrial and Production Engineering department was renamed as Industrial Engineering and Management in 1992. The department was under Bangalore University from 1979 to 1998. The department is under Visveswaraya Technological University (VTU) from 1998.
- The department of Industrial Engineering and Management obtained the academic autonomous status in the year 2007 affiliated to VTU along with other departments of the institute.
- VTU recognized Research and Development centre was started in the year 2008 and post graduate course in ‘Industrial Engineering’ was commenced in the year 2012.
- The department was accredited by the NBA in the year 2001 and reaccredited in 2004, 2010,2015 and 2018.
Faculty List - Click here
Students List - UG - Click here
Students List - PG - Click here
Placement List - Click here
Department of Industrial Engineering & Management offers two programs that are affiliated to VTU – Belgaum and recognized by AICTE:
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Industrial Engineering & Management
M. Tech Degree in Industrial Engineering.
- PEO1:Use the knowledge and skills of industrial engineering to model and analyze the real life problems and interpret the results.
- PEO2: Effectively design, implement, improve and manage the integrated socio-technical systems.
- PEO3: Build and lead cross-functional teams, upholding the professional responsibilities and ethical values.
- PEO4: Engage in continuing education and life-long learning to be competitive and enterprising.
Engineering graduates will be able to:
- PO1: Engineering knowledge:Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem analysis:AIdentify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions:Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems:Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage:Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The engineer and society:Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and sustainability:Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics:Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and team work:Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication:Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project management and finance:Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long learning:Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- PSO1: Develop knowledge, skills and abilities in the fields such as System Design and Development, Manufacturing and Research.
- PSO2: Apply the core competence in the field of industrial and systems engineering to solve real world problem and continuously improve its performance.
- PSO3: Exhibit innovative abilities and develop towards entrepreneurial careers with a focus on leadership and responsibility.
Dr N D Prasanna is the Professor and Head of the Department of Industrial Engineering & Management. He has about 30 years of teaching and 6 year of research experience. His academic and research interest include production and characterization to of ADI castings composite materials, wear and machinability studies on engineering a materials. He has to his credit several publications in prestigious national and international journals & conferences. He has served on several expert panels of premier institutions. He has delivered lecture at various conferences / workshops. He has successfully executed research projects funded by AICTE, New Delhi. Currently, he is guiding one doctoral research scholar. He is the life member of Indian Society for Technical Education, Charted Mechanical Engineer-IE(I). Indian Welding Society, Institute of Indian Foundry men.